Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cheddar Crackers

There are a lot of similarities with my no starch diet and a Paleo diet. The bonus being there are zillions of great Paleo blogs posting delicious recipes.  However a major difference is I am a happy eater of dairy and sugar; gotta have it! I stumbled upon another relevant diet, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.  This diet is specifically starch, sugar, grain & complex carbohydrate free. Perfect for me! (I can do with out sugar now and then). I am not nearly as strict as the diet dictates, but as with everything I believe you have to find your own level.

I have bought this fantastic cookbook which adheres to the SCD. 


The cheddar crackers were the first recipe I tried from the book. They are amazing. Buttery, crisp, cheesy & big bonus do not taste of almond flour.



Cheddar Crackers

This recipe is slightly adapted from Healing Foods by Sandra Ramacher

1 cup almond flour
1 cup of grated sharp cheddar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp smoked paprika
black pepper
3 tbs cold water

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Gradually add the water until the mixture comes together to form a dough. It may be a little more or less than 3 tbs of water. Cover the dough and pop it in the fridge for 30 mins or more.

Preheat the oven to 300F.  Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Roll the dough into small balls then flatten with the heal of your hand. Leave a gap between each cracker as they will spread a little.  The size of your crackers depends on how many you will make - I think I got just over a dozen from this amount of mixture.


Bake in the oven for about 15 mins, or when they just begin to brown at the edges. Then remove them from the oven and allow them to cool a little (about 5 minutes or so). Meanwhile turn the oven down to 210F.  Gently flip the crackers over then put the tray back in the oven for 30 minutes.  After the crackers have baked for 30 minutes turn the oven off and allow them to cool in the oven.  When the oven has cooled down remove the crackers and transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.

Store them in an airtight container between kitchen paper.  I kept mine in the fridge.


Despite my efforts to keep them to myself, they are a family favourite.  I am sure you could vary the recipe with whatever cheese you have to hand (providing its got a bold flavour). Or add dried herbs a la the the original recipe. 

Enjoy! 

x























2 comments: