Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Chocolate covered coconut squares

Chocolate and coconut is a winning combination.  This is a great little recipe and a fun one to do with kids as its quick, it can all be done by hand and you get 2 delicious bowls to lick!  There are plenty of recipes out there for similar chocolate/coconut bites. I looked at a few a came up with my own quantities.



Chocolate covered coconut squares

2 cups of unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup of coconut oil warmed
1/4 cup of honey
generous dash of vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
4 oz 72% dark chocolate
knob of butter


Mix together all of the ingredients together except the chocolate & butter.  You can blitz it a little in a food processor which makes it a smoother texture or just do by hand.  Press the coconut mixture into a tin or Tupperware greased with coconut oil or lined with parchment paper.  I used an 8"x 8" tin which was just too big. My coconut layer is not quite thick enough.  Pop it into the freezer for 15 minutes while you melt the chocolate and butter.

Once the coconut layer has firmed up pour over the melted chocolate.  Tap the tin to get any air bubbles out. I sprinkled over some Roasted coconut chips from Trader Joe's then put back in the fridge/freezer to set. 

Cut into squares when set. To make you feel better I ate 5 in the first sitting...Be warned they are very moreish!








NB: To make a 100% paleo version you need chocolate without added sugar. I used 72% dark which has a little sugar in. I'm OK with that, its your choice.  

1 comment: