Thursday, July 31, 2014

Gluten free banana bread

Its 8.15pm and I'm hungry. We have cupboards full of food but nothing to eat, you know the scene?!  I have had this banana bread on my mind since we returned from our summer holiday and was planning on making it with the girls.  I can't wait. I've made it. It is so quick and easy, requiring ingredients you have to hand (who doesn't have zillions of brown bananas in their freezer?) and only one bowl to wash up. Yay!


Gluten Free Banana Bread
adapted from this recipe

3 large ripe bananas
1 egg
3 tbs coconut oil
3/4 cup milk (dairy or non dairy)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tsp baking soda
1 cup almond meal
1 cup cashew nut meal
1 cup gluten free flour (I used brown rice flour)
1 cup of jumbo oats 
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
3/4 sultanas

Preheat the oven to 365F.  Grease and line a loaf tin.  Mash the bananas then add the wet ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined. Lastly stir in the sultanas.  Pop in the oven and bake for approximately one hour, until golden on top and a skewer comes out clean.

Cut yourself a generous wedge, top with butter if you desire (I do) and even jam if you are feeling decadent. I keep mine in the fridge in an air tight container and it will last about a week. Its also delicious toasted.





Go make it, whatever time of day it is. 









No comments:

Post a Comment