Thursday, October 4, 2012

Buttermilk, blueberry breakfast cake

Yup, I'm still alive!  Laptop in pieces (literally) for months and camera out of action (dropped down a cliff whilst climbing, him not me) = no blogging. My clever husband fixed the mentioned laptop, sadly not so successful with the camera.  So apologies for bad iPhone pictures from now on!

During the radio silence I have been busy making, DIY, sewing, thrifting and enjoying the summer we are still having in Southern California.  So there are a zillions-ish blog posts whirring around in my head; I shall endevour to catch up on them now I have a functioning computer. Meanwhile on with the breakfast 'cake'.

I saw the recipe on Pinterest and knowing I had a box of rather sour blueberries that needed eating in the fridge knew I would be making it sometime soon.  The recipe is from Alexandra's Kitchen, a great blog with loads of yummy recipes.  I have adapted her recipe slightly by using wholewheat flour & brown sugar, thus kidding myself its slightly healthy.

Buttermilk, blueberry breakfast cake
1/2 cup of unsalted butter (1 stick)
zest of a lemon
3/4 brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups of wholewheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups of fresh blueberries tossed in a little of the flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup of buttermilk (I sloshed in a bit more)

Oven at 350F.  Cream butter & sugar with the lemon zest until pale and fluffy.  Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.  Add flour, baking powder & salt to the mixture a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.  Once all combined fold in the blueberries.  Line a tin (mine was 10"x7") with greaseproof paper and spread in the batter.  Bake in the oven for 35-45mins, its done when browned on top and a skewer comes out clean.

It is a lovely and light and fluffy (even using wholewheat flour) and no need to wait to breakfast, I haven't.





No comments:

Post a Comment