Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Children's desk from sewing table

I wanted my daughter to have a desk in her bedroom as she is starting Kindergarten this year and will have homework to do. I bit of P&Q in her own room might be just the place to do it!
I would have liked this one from the Land of Nod but $599 for a kids desk is really way to much money for me.


Land of Nod Desk & hutch


I took to Craigslist and found a few possibilities.  I nearly parted with 100 bucks for a desk a similar style to the one above, but then found this ugly duckling, and secured the deal for a mere $40. 



It was an old sewing machine table which had been 'done up' - black spray paint & a brown faux fur plastic cover top put on. Nice job, NOT!
Mr Maker kindly took the nasty brown top off, and the original top of the table (with the hole for the sewing machine in it) and topped it with a piece of MDF which I'd got cut to size at Home Depot. 2 coats of primer & 2 or 3 coats of paint later Esme had her desk.







Please excuse the Verizon box in the pictures, very bad feng shui for you or I, it goes with out saying Esme doesn't notice it.  We have yet to find the right seat, she currently uses a stool that doesn't quite fit the colour scheme so didn't include in the photos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment